Monday, June 09, 2003

Fun with computers

If you're looking for educational Web sites to force your children onto over the summer in a dastardly attempt to keep their brains from turning to mush, here's a cute one to try: Dositey.com. It offers math and language arts games for kids grades K-12, including printable worksheets and areas where kids can submit book reviews and answers to monthly questions. I nagged and whined at my son until he gave me responses to type in to this month's exercise, which was: List 10 things you'd show an alien to tell him about life on earth. In case none of his answers make it to the site's composite list, here for the record were his picks:
1. my school
2. the grocery store
3. the mall
4. the museum
5. where my friends live
6. the Statue of Liberty
7. a car place
8. a picture of me
9. my teacher, my pets and my dogs
10. my cars and how I play with them and I'll invite him to my room and to sleep over at my house in my bunk bed.
He kind of got going at the end there, just when there was no more space, which may be the problem with fill-in-the-blank sites like this. One of these days I'm just going to print out a long list of fun writing prompts and set the boy up with his own blog. It's on my list of things to do with the kids this summer. What I need is someone to whine and nag at me to make sure all that good stuff gets done.

No comments: